Monday, January 09, 2006

Licensing Complexity

Following on the heels of my rant about keeping software simple, is another one:

Why are licensing schemes so horrendous?

A while ago, I was looking at backup solutions. I've just started to get costings together. What a nightmare!

Really, how hard can this be? But then there are different tiers of servers, prices are different for different platforms, some of it's done by volume (how many terabytes can you afford?), tape libraries by capacity in several dozen steps. There are different base products, with no explanation of the differences.

(This sort of thing screams out for an online order form where you just tick the boxes and it puts together an order for you. How do I know whether I've actually chosen the right options from 6 densely packed pages?)

No comments: